In Mixed Reality News
November 16, 2022 – GigXR, Inc., a global provider of holographic healthcare training, has today announced the availability of the Insight Series by ANIMA RES to provide hyper-realistic 3D anatomy learning for medical schools, nursing schools, healthcare providers and government and defense agencies worldwide.
The Insight Series by ANIMA RES features accurately structured 3D models of the lung (Insight Lung), heart (Insight Heart) and kidney (Insight Kidney) to enable learners to see the impacts of conditions and diseases on the affected organs. Delivered on the Gig Immersive Learning Platform – GigXR’s centralized hub for institution-wide immersive learning across all levels, programs and departments – the applications provide institutions and instructors globally with holographic anatomy content that is true-to-life, resource-effective and scalable, according to the company.
With the Insight Series by ANIMA RES now integrated with the Gig Immersive Learning Platform, instructors and learners can access the applications using mixed reality headsets or any Android or iOS mobile phone or tablet, enabling them to display 3D models of the heart, lung or kidney to accurately observe how each organ might be affected by various modes of disease.
- Insight Heart shows movements of a healthy heart or the stages, consequences and treatment of common heart problems, including myocardial infarction (heart attack), atrial fibrillation and arterial hypertension. This is especially important as heart attacks are frequently misdiagnosed and all of these conditions need to be identified as early as possible.
- Insight Lung provides an in-depth look at asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and their effect on lungs when compared to the organ in healthy condition, helping learners understand the pathology behind each condition and evaluation of proper treatment options.
- Insight Kidney creates a macroscopic to microscopic visualization of healthy kidneys or those affected by common and rare diseases such as CKD, aHUS, IgAN and C3G, giving learners a detailed look at structural and functional changes caused by each pathology.
“Showing learners accurate 3D organ function and disease progression removes the friction between students mastering anatomy and applying their learnings to a real-life patient,” said Pablo Olmos, CEO at ANIMA RES. “Partnering with GigXR gives us the springboard to expand our geographic reach to match GigXR’s global footprint and get our market-leading content into the hands of educators and learners worldwide. Together, we aim to give learners the best tools for success throughout training and clinical practice.”
We spoke with GigXR’s CEO, Jared Mermey, who showed us a mixed reality demo of the ANIMA RES Insight Heart experience running on a Microsoft HoloLens 2 device. ANIMA RES are of course known for their extremely high quality 3D medical animations, and shown on the GigXR platform, it was clear to see the value that this integration will bring to those learning at medical institutions. It seems that mixed reality as a tool for learning has now transitioned from being a ‘nice-to-have’ for medical educational institutions, to a ‘need-to-have,’ particularly for generations of students who have been raised on interactive digital content and knowledge.
Each 3D organ model serves as a complementary 3D learning layer for instructors to bring multiple holographic training applications together, including those already delivered by the Gig Immersive Learning Platform. Additional applications from GigXR include HoloScenarios, HoloHuman and HoloPatient, which were created in partnership with medical education experts at the University of Cambridge and Cambridge University Hospitals (CUH) NHS Foundation, Northwest Permanente P.C., University of Michigan and 3D4Medical by Elsevier. The company’s HoloScenarios platform was also recently featured as one of Time Magazine’s ‘Best Inventions of 2022.’
“The debut of the Insight Series with ANIMA RES reinforces our ability to collaborate with leading mixed reality partners while also providing healthcare institutions the content and tools to scale high-quality immersive learning across their curriculum,” said Mermey. “The Gig Immersive Learning Platform makes integrating multiple immersive applications that span different health topics easy to do such that an instructor can seamlessly use multiple apps even during a single lesson.”
The Gig Immersive Learning Platform enables healthcare institutions to scale their use of immersive learning by allowing them to curate a custom catalog of mixed reality applications that maps to their teaching and training curricula. All applications on the platform, including the Insight Series by ANIMA RES, share a series of features including:
- Centralized management from one dashboard;
- Single sign-on with the same credentials;
- Easy access of content via scanning QR codes;
- Distributed learning amongst remote participants;
- Holograms and animations shared in real-time;
- Creation and scheduling immersive learning sessions.
The Insight Series by ANIMA RES, delivered by the Gig Immersive Learning Platform, is available for licensing starting today. To learn more about GigXR and its mixed reality medical training solutions, please visit the company’s website.
Image / video credit: GigXR / ANIMA RES / Vimeo / YouTube
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past five years.