In Augmented Reality News
October 12, 2022 – Epson has today announced its newest generation of Moverio augmented reality (AR) smart glasses with the launch of the Moverio BT-45C and BT-45CS devices, which the company states have been designed to support seamless remote collaboration with a high-quality AR viewing experience.
Purpose-built for mission-critical tasks, such as troubleshooting, maintenance, inspection, and training, the new Moverio models support immersive, hands-free collaboration between on-site technicians and remote experts to help enhance efficiency, improve safety, and reduce downtime, according to Epson.
“Field service is undergoing a transformation, with many businesses shifting to remote assistance and adopting immersive AR technology to help enhance work efficiency, save costs and improve workplace safety,” said Nathan Cheng, Associate Product Manager, Augmented Reality at Epson America, Inc. “As a pioneer in the AR space with over 10 years of innovation, the latest Moverio platform delivers advanced image quality in a binocular display with improved performance and wearability to provide a more immersive and shared viewing experience to today’s remote workforce.”
Compatible with a wide range of collaboration and remote assistance software, the Moverio BT-45C and BT-45CS feature all-new Si-OLED technology, a proprietary optical engine, and a binocular see-through Full HD display with a 34° field-of-view (FoV) to seamlessly integrate digital content with the outside world.
With a USB-C interface, the BT-45C headset can tether to a wide range of compatible Android or Windows host devices to support an array of applications. Designed for businesses working in manufacturing, automotive, field service, IT, logistics, construction, and more, Epson states that the smart glasses are built with a tough, robust design – with high shock and dust resistance – to withstand the most demanding and dynamic work environments. With an adjustable, padded headband and helmet mounting options, the BT-45C and BT-45CS can also fit a variety of frontline work attire and helmet models for added comfort and flexibility.
The Moverio BT-45CS device combines a Moverio headset and an intelligent controller to help maximize ease of use while on the job. A 13 megapixel camera on the controller gives users the ability to take detailed, up-close photos. The controller also features a touchscreen interface and array of connectivity options.
Moverio AR smart glasses features
The Moverio BT-45C and BT-45CS support convenient, hands-free, “see-what-I-see” collaboration between on-site technicians and remote experts with a range of features, including:
- Integrated Si-OLED technology, proprietary optical engine and binocular see-through Full HD display with 34° field-of-view for an enhanced viewing experience;
- Adjustable, padded headband, plus helmet mounting options help to comfortably accommodate a variety of frontline work attire;
- A robust, durable design that is shock- and dust-resistant with military grade drop test compliance and IP52 rating;
- A headset flip-up function allows users to secure a clear field of view for enhanced efficiency and safety; tinted and clear ANSI Z87.1 compatible shields can be attached to the headset for added eye protection;
- Centered 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with optimized camera angle can precisely captures the wearer’s point of view, allowing for “see-what-I-see” experiences between wearers and remote experts;
- Headsets are equipped with 9-axis and ambient light sensors, and the BT-45CS’ controller is equipped with GPS sensors, which allow developers to take advantage of the full potential of augmented reality via Moverio SDK;
- Integrated speaker and noise-canceling microphone enhance the quality of hands-free communication. The device can also connect to external audio devices via a mini audio jack.
The new Moverio AR smart glasses will be on display in Epson’s booth #113 at Augmented Enterprise Summit (AES) in San Diego, Calif. from October 18-20, 2022. Auganix readers can also get a 15% discount to AES by using the code “AUGANIX15” at checkout.
Epson Moverio pricing and availability
The Moverio BT-45C and BT-45CS smart glasses will be available through Epson’s channel partners and on Epson.com in November. For more information on Epson and its augmented reality solutions, please visit the company’s website.
Image credit: Epson
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past five years.