May 7, 2020 – Pixyz, a provider of 3D and CAD data preparation, optimization and review solutions, has announced it has released major updates to its Pixyz Review software that further enable users to view and interact with 3D models and CAD files, no matter their level of expertise. The remote collaboration tool offers businesses the option to open and manage huge and complex 3D assets on both a desktop device and a virtual reality (VR) headset, helping to reduce training time and costs.
According to Pixyz, typically, 3D and CAD files require complex, and often expensive, software to be accessed and viewed. The company states that its Pixyz Review platform can handle large and complex files with ease, visualizing a 3D model of any type (mesh, cad or point cloud) or size in a range of 50-plus file formats including CATIA, NX, Solidworks and more.
Furthermore, Pixyz states that visualization and immersion in virtual reality can be set up in less than ten minutes, and any user can be proficient in the solution within a couple of hours, regardless of their technical ability. In addition to its virtual collaboration capabilities, Pixyz Review is compatible with most VR headsets, supports metadata & PMI/FTA on 3D models and has useful other features, including cutting plane and measurement capabilities.
Notable new features and updates in the Pixyz Review 2020.1 release include:
- New VR environments and customization options – Users can now import their own VR environments (.hdr) or use new preset themes, including mountains, city square, mall or “heaven”;
- Viewer improvements – Performance enhancements have allowed for up to 40 percent more frames per second (fps), allowing for the display of complex and heavy 3D models, as well as HDR lighting for more realistic renderings;
- Less GPU memory usage – Instances are no longer duplicated and only mesh attributes necessary for display (including normals, UVs, binormals and tangents) are transferred;
- New guidance options – Users can now import images to provide further context in their scene or create step-by-step written guides or user manuals;
- Modernized user interface (UI) – A fresh interface including a new dark mode brings simplicity, visual comfort and ease of use to users, and works better on various screen resolutions and formats;
- Additional materials and texture mapping – A new Pixyz Material Library features out-of-the-box materials like wood, leather and steel. It also includes a new materials mapping tool that allows users to fit materials.
Pixyz Review is part of the larger Pixyz suite of products, including Pixyz Studio, Pixyz Batch and Pixyz Plugin, that offer solutions for large CAD data preparation, optimization and review. The software helps companies and 3D professionals save time and effort by allowing them to re-use 3D data in any real-time scenario.
“Our mission has always been to democratize the use of 3D data in a way that delivers an immediate ROI for industrials,” said Fabrice Baeli, CEO at Pixyz. “3D data provides businesses with immense value by cutting costs and allowing for the production of more powerful products, and it should not be locked into formats that require technical expertise and costly tools to access. We created Pixyz Review to make it easy for anyone, anywhere, at any time to visualize any type of 3D model at a 1:1 scale, and collaborate and interact with it in VR within minutes – even if they have no prior expertise or technical background.”
The new updates are available for current customers to access immediately at no additional charge. For new users, Pixyz Review is available for a one-month free trial. For more information, visit the company’s website.
Video credit: Pixyz Software / YouTube
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past five years.