June 10, 2019 – Siemens Digital Industries Software has announced the availability of the latest version of its Solid Edge software – a portfolio of software tools that address all aspects of the product development process.
The latest version features numerous enhancements that the company states will help small and medium-sized manufacturing companies to accelerate product development and manufacturing processes.
According to Siemens, Solid Edge 2020 delivers next generation technologies to enhance collaboration and fully digitalize the design-to-manufacturing process:
- New augmented reality capabilities allow users to visualize design intent in new ways, enabling enhanced collaboration internally, as well as with suppliers and customers during the design process;
- New validation tools have been integrated for conducting motion and vibration simulation, which can help customers reduce costly prototypes;
- The addition of Model Based Definition enables customers to completely define parts, assemblies and manufacturing instruction digitally from their 3D model;
- 2D Nesting capabilities have also been added to optimize cutting patterns, reduce waste and costs, and accelerate manufacturing processes;
- Solid Edge 2020 also delivers hundreds of core CAD enhancements such as new sheet metal capabilities, 3-10x faster large assembly performance, new data migration tools, and others across the portfolio.
John Miller, Sr. Vice President, Mainstream Engineering at Siemens Digital Industries Software commented: “The latest enhancements to the Solid Edge portfolio can help small to medium-sized manufacturers digitalize their entire product development process from end-to end.” Miller added, “We continue to work on providing an advanced portfolio of affordable and easy-to-use tools to help our customers with their digital transformation, so they can reduce costs and accelerate product delivery.”
Stefan Islinger, Information Management, IM-CAD Support for Krones AG, a packaging and bottling machine manufacturer, said: “Sharing designs in AR/VR with Solid Edge 2020 could change how we do almost everything. It’s an absolute game changer and will help us design better, while communicating more effectively and efficiently with our customers and engineers.”
“The new Model Based Definition offering for Solid Edge 2020 is exactly what we need,” said Daniel Froehlich, PLM Business Manager, Standardization Department for industrial sealing technology company, Eagle Burgmann. “Not only will it help us go paperless, it’s a huge step toward moving to a completely digital environment. Using our digital model to create 3D PDFs will let us share our designs without having to create extra drawings.”
Image credit: Siemens Digital Industries Software