February 21, 2016 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today announced the Samsung Gear 360, a 360-degree camera that enables consumers to capture, view and share their experiences through spherical 360-degree video and still images. Users can shoot with Gear 360, edit with select Samsung Galaxy phones, view on the phone or Gear VR, and share on social media.
Gear 360 is designed to deliver immersive photos and video at a high resolution (3840 x 1920) that are viewable in 2D via the mobile app or in 360 via the Gear VR.
DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics, said: “On the heels of last year’s Gear VR release, Gear 360 continues to push the limits on immersive content – providing a visual experience that makes capturing and sharing life’s moments even easier.”
The Gear 360 camera is splash-proof and dust resistant, with a compact spherical design smaller than a baseball that weighs 153 grams. Storage via micro SD card can accommodate cards up to 128 gigabytes in capacity. The camera also features a tripod and supports the industry standard thread sizes to work with a selection of accessories and mounts currently available on the market.
Samsung Gear 360 is equipped with dual fisheye lenses, each with high resolution image sensors, capable of capturing 3840 x 1920, 360-degree video, or 30 megapixel still images. Users can also choose to shoot 180-degree wide angle video and images with only using one side of the camera lens. Gear 360 offers Bright Lens F2.0, which creates high resolution images and full panoramic videos even in low-light conditions.
Gear 360 is compatible with select Samsung smartphones including the newly released Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. When synced, users will be able to preview their footage in real time, using the phone as a remote. Gear 360 will automatically give users the option to view and save footage on their smartphone, or share it directly to social media channels, while stitching together content to fuse together the two fields of view. All of these features will be available through a dedicated mobile application for download from Google Play. In addition, PC software is available for more in-depth editing capabilities.
Samsung Gear360 Specifications:
- Camera: Two CMOS 15 megapixel fisheye cameras
- Image Processor: DRIMe5s
- Video: MP4 (H.265)
- Dual Lens: 3840×1920 (30fps)
- Image: JPEG
- Dual Lens: 30M (7776×3888)
- Audio Codec: MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+
- Audio Format: MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG
- Memory: microSD card (Up to 128GB)
- Display: 0.5” (72 x 32) PMOLED
- Shooting mode: Video, Photo, Time Lapse Video, Looping Video
- Camera mode: Dual/Single Lens mode
- Camera Setting: Sharpness, White Balance, HDR, EV, ISO limit, Wind cut
- IP53 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Samsung Services: Samsung Gear 360 App, PC S/W (Gear 360 ActionDirector)
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
- WiFi Direct
- BT v4.1
- USB 2.0
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Dimension: 66.7 x 56.2 x 60 mm
- Weight: 153g (including battery)
- Battery: 1,350mAh Li-ion
Gear 360 will be available in Q2 2016 in select countries.
Image credit: Samsung