February 20, 2019 – A decade on since the launch of the first Galaxy S, Samsung Electronics has today announced its new Galaxy S10 line of premium smartphones. The Galaxy S10 line features four unique devices, that deliver a “next-generation” experience in terms of display, camera and performance, according to the company. These include the Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e, and the Galaxy S10 5G.
The Galaxy S10 is made with Samsung’s Dynamic AMOLED display, which is HDR10+-certified and VDE-certified. The Galaxy S10’s features dynamic tone mapping, and its Infinity-O Display includes an array of sensors and camera technology into a hole-in display, which the company states will maximize screen real estate. Also included is an in-display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner that reads the 3D contours of a physical thumbprint – not a 2D image of it – for improved anti-spoofing.
Samsung has not mentioned any specifics with relation to compatibility with its Gear VR headsets in the announcement. The only mention of AR/VR compatibility was in relation to the 5G technology that comes with the Galaxy S10 5G model: “With Galaxy S10 5G, consumers on a 5G network can download a full season of a TV show in minutes, play graphics-rich cloud games with virtually no lag, enjoy enhanced VR and AR experiences and stay in touch with friends and family via real-time 4K video calls.” This in itself is somewhat of a vague and generic mention.
However, Samsung did also mention in its press release that the phone has been engineered for gaming, and the Galaxy S10 is built with AI-based on-device gaming performance optimization software and hardware including Dolby Atmos for a ‘gaming mode’, as well as vapor chamber cooling system. The company also stated that the Galaxy S10 is “the first mobile device to be optimized for games created on the Unity platform” – a popular platform on which several VR games are built.
Other features of the Galaxy S10 include:
- Ultra Wide Lens with a 123-degree field of view.
- Super Steady & High-Quality Video Recording with digital stabilization technology. Both front and rear cameras can shoot in up to UHD quality, and the rear camera gives users the flexibility to record in HDR10+6.
- AI Camera that features a Neural Processing Unit (NPU), which includes a Scene Optimizer that can recognize and more accurately process additional scenes as a result.
- Wireless PowerShare that makes it possible to charge Qi-certified smartphones as well as compatible wearable devices. In addition, Galaxy S10 is capable of charging itself and a second device simultaneously via Wireless PowerShare, while connected to a regular charger.
- Intelligent Performance – The new AI software on the Galaxy S10 automatically optimizes battery, CPU, RAM, and temperature based on how the device is being used and continues to learn over time. Leveraging AI-capabilities, Galaxy S10 also learns how a user interacts with the device in order to launch most frequently used apps faster.
- Intelligent Wi-Fi that allows for an uninterrupted connection by switching between Wi-Fi and LTE, as well as alerting the user of potentially risky Wi-Fi. Galaxy S10 also supports the new Wi-Fi 6 standard, making it possible for better Wi-Fi performance when connected to a compatible router. Furthermore, the Galaxy S10 gives users the capability to access next-generation Wi-Fi 613, which is able to give prioritized and four times faster access over other users in crowded areas, such as airports.
The Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e will be available in Prism White, Prism Black, Prism Green, Prism Blue, Canary Yellow and Flamingo Pink. Galaxy S10+ will also be available in two, all-new, premium Ceramic models: Ceramic Black and Ceramic White17. The devices will be available in stores and online beginning March 8, 2019 in select markets. Pricing starts at USD $899.99 for Galaxy S10, USD $999.99 for Galaxy S10+ and USD $749.99 for Galaxy S10e. Preorders for the Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e begin tomorrow, February 21, 2019.
Visit the Auganix HUD for more information on Samsung.
Image credit: Samsung
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past five years.