September 20, 2019 – Vuzix Corporation has announced this week that the company has received regulatory compliance approval for the M400 Smart Glasses from the US, EU, Japanese and Canadian regulatory agencies. Concurrently, Vuzix has begun shipping early adopter program M400 Smart Glasses orders, as well as making the M400 Smart Glasses available for purchase from Vuzix’ US, EU and Japanese webstores.
The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 Platform, which integrates their computing architecture including an ARM-based multicore Central Processing Unit (CPU), vector processor, Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) and Qualcomm AI Engine. The Snapdragon XR1 platform was also designed to deliver an immersive User Interface (UI) experience, with features such as native voice processing, motion tracking, head tracking and more.
The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses product specs and features include:
- SOC – Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 Platform 8 Core Processor with up to 2.5 GHz clock speed
- Memory – 6GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 64GB eMMC Flash
- Display – OLED
- Display Contrast Ratio – >10,000:1
- Charging and Data – USB 3.1 Gen 2 on Type-C
- Android 8.1
- Camera – 12.8 MP
- 3 noise cancelling microphones
- Built-in speaker
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac – Dual-B 2.4/5 GHz
- BT 5.0
- Hot swapping external batteries
- Left or Right Eye Usable
- Display and camera can be moved up, down, left, right, in or out – to position
- IP67 Rating Dustproof – Protected from contact with any harmful dust
- IP67 Rating Waterproof – Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
- Drop Proof – Resistant to 2-meter drops onto concrete
- 1135 mAh battery (total of internal + opposite side temple batteries)
- Improved power management and extended battery life
“The Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 platform with built-in Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities offers a platform of improved interactivity, power consumption, and thermal efficiency,” said Paul Travers, President and Chief Executive Officer at Vuzix. “The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses were designed to be best in class for enterprise and, in addition to the powerful XR1, includes a larger memory profile, superior voice recognition and noise cancelling, an improved touchpad with multi-finger support, built-in GPS, OLED display and much more. The M400 is, by almost every measure, an order of magnitude faster than current solutions in the market. The performance improvements also mean that for less processor intensive applications, power consumption is expected to be much less. Qualcomm Technologies has been a great partner for Vuzix and we look forward to expanding our relationship to support the burgeoning AR smart glasses market.”
Vuzix showcased its M400 Smart Glasses and Vuzix Blade glasses at EWTS in Dallas, TX this week. The M400 Smart Glasses are available for purchase now for a price of USD $1499.99.
Image credit: Vuzix
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past seven years.