January 8, 2020 – The Government of Canada has stated that it is committed to improving education and awareness about rail safety and is working closely with railway companies and road authorities to make rails and roads safer for Canadians.
Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport for the Government of Canada, announced yesterday the allocation of CAD $225,330 in funding, which will be used to educate communities and raise awareness about rail safety and the safe transportation of dangerous goods in Canada. Mr. Garneau commented: “A safe and secure transportation system is important to Canada’s economy and communities. This investment will help enhance educational tools and outreach efforts to help underserved regions of the country.”
One of the recipients of the funding is the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada, which will use the CAD $219,750 that it receives over three years for its Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response initiative (TRANSCAER) to help:
- Construct a new TRANSCAER Safety Train – a railway tank car that will be converted into a classroom on wheels for the purpose of training emergency responders;
- Develop advanced training tools, including virtual reality educational tools that will allow state‑of‑the‑art training and education in even the most remote communities;
- Deliver a Canada-wide series of training sessions for communities and emergency responders using these new tools.
The other funding recipient, Safe Rail Communities Inc., will receive $5,580 over three years to:
- Continue the national promotion of their Rail Safety Toolkit resources, raising awareness on rail safety, and distributing requested hard copy resources to First Nations communities;
- Make Rail Safety Toolkit resources available to Canadians through community outreach, public service announcements, and the continued production and distribution of educational materials and resources.
The Rail Safety Improvement Program is an essential component of the Government of Canada’s commitment to improving rail safety to keep Canadians safe and the railway system functioning at its best.
Video credit: TRANSCAER Canada/YouTube
Using a feed reader? Make sure to follow Auganix news updates. Auganix is included in Feedspot’s list of top Virtual Reality blogs to follow. You can also find us on Feedly, or can copy and add our RSS link to a feed reader of your choice.
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past seven years.