October 13, 2020 – Last month Facebook announced the Oculus Quest 2 and opened pre-orders. Smaller and lighter than the original Quest, the Quest 2 delivers a faster performance and a higher resolution display, all with a price tag of just USD $299.
The standalone virtual reality (VR) headset is now available as of today from oculus.com, as well as from Oculus’ retail partners, including: Best Buy, GameStop, Target, and Walmart in the US; Currys PC World and FNAC Darty in the UK and EU; Bic Camera, Yamada Denki, Yodobashi Camera, and GEO in Japan; and Amazon worldwide.
Oculus’ Quest 2 device gives users access to the full library of Quest content, as well as new games and updates available today, such as The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Beat Saber multiplayer, Rez Infinite, with more content on the way. Furthermore, users can use Oculus Link on their Quest 2, along with a compatible gaming PC to enjoy PC VR experiences.
Additionally, Facebook has stated that a handful of Quest titles will receive free updates for Quest 2 as part of a “Newly Enhanced for Quest 2” pack, which can be found on the Quest store. For users who already own the games on Quest, updates will populate automatically on Quest 2. The following updates have been made to:
- Arizona Sunshine — Updated visuals and improved zombie physics;
- Ironlights — Improved render resolution, enhanced particle system, and shading;
- Red Matter — New textures and further LOD distances will allow players to further explore and immerse themselves in this VR puzzle adventure;
- Trover Saves the Universe — New visuals, increased resolution, and improved frame rate;
- Waltz of the Wizard — Improved fidelity with real-time lights, realistic glow effects, more objects, better particle effects, a super-resolution mode, and more.
The Oculus Quest 2 is designed to support a variety of optional accessories that will offer users more choices for fit, comfort, and portability. Available today, these include:
- Quest 2 Carrying Case — Fits the Oculus Quest 2 headset with Elite Strap or Elite Strap With Battery, two Touch controllers, charging cable, and power adapter;
- Quest 2 Elite Strap — This ergonomic strap increases balance and support with a quick twist of the fit wheel;
- Quest 2 Elite Strap with Battery and Carrying Case — A combo of the above two, but also comes with a built-in battery that doubles playtime.
- Quest 2 Fit Pack — This kit includes two alternate facial interfaces and light blockers for users with low nose bridges and wider or narrower cheekbones. All pieces are interchangeable and made with the same breathable fabrics and foam as the standard fit.
- Oculus Link Cable — The Oculus Link cable and software unlocks the power of a PC to allow players to use their Quest 2 device as part of their PC VR setup by connecting the two with this premium fiber-optic cable.
Other third party audio and foam cover accessories are also available for the Quest 2 device.
For more information on the Oculus Quest 2, click here.
Video credit: Oculus / YouTube
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past seven years.