December 2, 2019 – From I/ITSEC 2019 today, Varjo Technologies has announced the general availability of its XR-1 Developer Edition headset. The photorealistic mixed reality developer device helps deliver virtual content that becomes indistinguishable from the real world thamls to its visual fidelity, ultra-low latency and integrated eye tracking. With the XR-1 Developer Edition, professional users can switch seamlessly between virtual and mixed reality to create and interact with 3D immersive content while simultaneously collaborating with others in real-life.
“Many companies understand the benefits of implementing virtual and mixed reality into their workflows, but haven’t had access to technology sophisticated enough to create photorealistic, 3D content and simulations,” said Urho Konttori, Chief Product Officer and co-founder of Varjo. “We are excited to bring the XR-1 Developer Edition to market as the industry’s first device that can flawlessly blend the virtual with the real world like never before – pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in training, design and research.”
Varjo states that its XR-1 Developer Edition is the only device on the market capable of delivering an immersive experience that is so accurate, users cannot differentiate between the real and virtual worlds. The company is hoping that its device will help to empower interactive applications across industries such as architecture, engineering, construction, automotive, research & development, and aerospace & aviation.
XR-1 Developer Edition features include:
- Photorealistic video pass-through, which enables users to see digital objects in true-to-life color, lighting and shadows in a full field of view (87 degrees);
- The ability to switch between mixed reality and ‘full’ VR so users can interact with the real and the virtual world in one device for applications such as testing designs in different environments or manipulating their surroundings;
- Industrial-grade 20/20 Eye Tracker delivers sub-degree accuracy of users’ eye movements in mixed reality scenarios for insights into research, training and simulation and product design;
- Ultra-low latency imaging pipeline lets users experience realistic digital worlds as extensions of the natural environment without perceivable lag;
- Human-eye resolution Bionic Display (over 60 PPD/3,000 PPI) brings high visual fidelity to demanding industrial scenarios where extreme precision and photorealistic accuracy is required.
The XR-1 Developer Edition headset is available for purchase immediately for USD $9,995 (also EUR €9,995) and together with Varjo’s Software and Support service at USD $1,995 (also EUR €1,995). Varjo will be demonstrating the XR-1 Developer Edition device, along with its latest VR-2 and VR-2 Pro headsets, at I/ITSEC 2019 until December 5, 2019. The company will be showcasing various training and simulation applications including a T-45 Virtual Reality Part Task Trainer and a mixed reality T-6 flight simulator that enables trainees to interact with a high-resolution physical cockpit while immersed in a synthetic environment.
Varjo’s products can also be experienced at I/ITSEC at various customer booths including Bohemia Interactive Simulations, Vertex Solutions, Ryan Aerospace, Presagis, Flight Safety International, and Aechelon.
Image credit: Varjo
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past seven years.