January 10, 2020 – Specialists in professional hair colour, Wella Professionals, have been present at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas this week, showcasing new developments in its smart salon technology.
One such development is the company’s Smart Mirror, developed in partnership with CareOS, which enhances the hair color experience from consultation to aftercare with live augmented reality hair color try on, facial recognition that enables the retrieval of past looks, and 360° video capture to view a person’s hair at every angle.
Key features of the Smart Mirror include:
- Live AR hair color try on that allows real-time visualization of color in the mirror during the consultation phase of a client’s salon visit;
- Facial recognition technology that enables the retrieval of past looks and services, helping the stylist to better serve their client with a highly personal experience across several visits;
- Curated feed of content, including trending and classic looks, to allow the client to browse for inspiration;
- 360° video capture of the hair at every angle allowing for a better appreciation of the result, without the need to use another mirror. These images can also be shared on social media;
- Connected mobile application, allowing stylists to stay in touch with their clients in between visits. Clients can also access the platform from anywhere to connect with their stylist, get product recommendations, personalized tips and trends or schedule their next appointment; and
- Touchless technology that responds to swipe hand gestures enabling a seamless experience.
Technologies such as online booking and salon management solutions complement the Smart Mirror to allow salon owners to give their clients a 360° digitally enabled experience.
“These innovations speak to our commitment to advance the experience of hairdressers and salon clients. These are not one-off gimmicks they are mainstream changes which will future-proof and help drive growth of the salon professional industry,” said Sylvie Moreau, President, Coty Professional Beauty.
“Our brands have a deep heritage in supporting the salon industry, and the launch of the Wella Digital Salon Platform reimagines that support in the digital age,” said Chris Chesebro, Senior Vice President, Digital Transformation & Ecommerce at Coty Professional Beauty. “We’ll be using 2020 to build our foundation, launching in a number of salons to help build the model. The platform is powered by CareOS, allowing us to aggregate services and information from many sources and to help empower hairdressers and salon owners to more efficiently manage their business – not to mention, offer new & innovative services to their clients.”
Coty developed the experience in partnership with CareOS, makers of a digital health and beauty platform that uses time spent in front of a mirror to organize and enhance information from a user’s connected devices, digital services and CareOS’ own AI. To date, more than 50 integrated IoT devices and services are delivered through the CareOS Poseidon Smart Mirror, which is also launching at CES.
The Smart Mirror also integrates Perfect Corp.’s YouCamMakeup AR & AI technology for live hair color try-on.
Image credit: Wella Professionals/Business Wire
Using a feed reader? Make sure to follow Auganix news updates. Auganix is included in Feedspot’s list of top Virtual Reality blogs to follow. You can also find us on Feedly, or can copy and add our RSS link to a feed reader of your choice.
About the author
Sam is the Founder and Managing Editor of Auganix. With a background in research and report writing, he has been covering XR industry news for the past seven years.